Charter Board and Members


Corowa was sponsored by the Rotary Club of Albury, under the leadership of President Harold Johnson, Dig’s special representatives Doug Thompson and Horrie Harrison. Local liaison contact was Rupert Grace; our first Secretary.

 

The Charter dated seventeenth day of May, 1939 was presented to W E Sargood on the 10th of July, 1939 by District Governor Angus Mitchell of Melbourne, who later became the first Australian President of Rotary International.

 

It was Rotary International Club No 5035.

 

The Charter Board was:

Position Name Classification
President W.E. (Bill) Sargood  Livestock Grazing 
Vice President E.A. (Count) Meldrum Dentistry
Secretary L.R. (Rupert) Grace Banking Government
Treasurer W.C. Thompson Banking Commercial
Sergeant at Arms A.G.T. (Amby) Phillips Boots & Shoe Retailing
Director R.W.E. Fraser Mechanical Engineering
Director R.F. Hudson Livestock Marketing
Director P.W. (Percy) Pritchard Hotels

The other charter members were:

W.T. Easdown Accountancy
Horace Fraser REal Estate Agency
Frank Galbraith Recreations - Racing
Hubert F. Grimmond Municipal Govt - Electrical Services
J.E. Graham Winemaker
E. Harrison Groceries Retail
R.B. Herrin Jewellery Retail
D.E. Kemp Municipal Govt - Town Clerk
A.C. Leslie Newspaper Publishing
James Lumby Wheat Growing
C.H. MacKnight Architecture
A.A. McBride Building Construction
W.J. Oswald Cordial Manufacture
R. Ross-Edwards Religion - Anglican
W.M. Strong Law Practice - General
A.E. Wilmot Pharmacy
   

Charter Board and Member Profile:

 

  • William (Bill) E Sargood owned Quat Quata Station on Albury Road
  • Dr E.A. (Count) Meldrum, was the local dentist who had gone to America in 1936 to get his degree.
  • Rupert Grace was the Commonwealth Bank manager
  • W.C. Thompson was the Commercial Bank manager
  • Ambrose (Amby) Phillips owned the local shoes shop, a Rotarian who travelled overseas a lot and most of the early banners on our stands were obtained by him.
  • Percy Pritchard, owned the Terminus Hotel, on the corner of Sanger and Edwards Streets, (now holiday accomodation).  This is where the club held the meetings, some lasting until midnight.
  • R.W.E Fraser, garage owner and local agent for Chevrolet and later GMH.
  • W.J. Easdown was the local public accountant, who practiced in the old Bank of NSW building at 1 Sanger Street, now Easdown House.
  • Horry Fraser, real estate agent and uncle to local real estate agent John Fraser of Fraser Grantham.
  • Frank Galbraith was a stock agent and involved in the local race club.
  • Hubert Grimmond worked for the local council and was the Fire Brigade Captain.  The Fire Station was then on the corner of Mary and Sanger Streets.